Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Coconut Water Kefir Disaster

This should have been simple but the Crook household does not possess a sharp knife. After numerous attempts by myself and then Roger to take the top off a young coconut with an electric knife we resorted to using the electric drill (very sterile @#$). Anyway we finally got enough water out of the three coconuts and strained them into my preserving jar (with the Kefir starter pack) which is now sitting on the kitchen bench where it will stay for 48 hours. Did I neglect to mention that a HUGE argument happened in the middle of this and the three coconuts nearly went straight into the bin without being opened at all.

Anyway after "googling" again on how to get inside the coconut itself, one nut was taken outside with an old tea towel wrapped around it and bashed until it broke. However the amount of coconut inside (being only a young one) was miniscule and mixed up with some of the husky stuff we both decided we had enough and threw them in the bin. I don't think I will be doing this again anytime soon. Apparently you can buy the coconut water (unadulterated) somewhere and if I ever do decide to do it again that is what I will do.

So there you have it. Let's hope the vegie casserole thingy I made after this episode will be OK and I didn't forget a vital ingredient.

No comments:

Post a Comment